Subject: [Leica] Making a living as a photographer
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2010 21:14:04 -0800

I'm not doing that much paid photography right now, but the majority
of my income came from photography for over 20 years between the
early 70's and late 90's.

The only way I was able to make decent money was to constantly
re-invent my business and try and stay ahead with new
techniques/angles that others didn't or couldn't do yet. As soon as
others could, profits went down and I had to look for something new.
In the late 90's I didn't bother any more as most areas that I had
been working in started paying a lot less or didn't exist any more.

However, over the years I made more money as a photographer, and
later as photographer/photoshop artist than I made as an architect.

For a number of years I worked as a consulting architect to other
archtectural firms (actually, that's still what I do) and therefore
had the ability to take time off for photographic assignments. The
shooting I often did on short stints away from the office, but the
pre and post shooting stuff I did in the evenings and weekends. For a
number of yeards I worked 40 to 45 hour weeks as an architect and 15
hours a week as a photographer (counting shooting and non-shooting
time). During that time my income from photography was greater than
that from architecture. For about 6 years I spent more time on
photography than architecture, and during that time my total income
was higher than before or since.

My work was all on assignment from architects, magazines,
municipalities, developers, contractors and building material
suppliers. Nothing on spec or for stock.

I don't think I could make that kind of money today in architectural
photography, but 20-30 years ago it was certainly possible.

So now I do 95% architecture, and charge for my experience :-).