Subject: [Leica] Making a living as a photographer
From: foto at marcdufour.net (Marc Dufour)
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2010 01:06:34 +0100

The matter isn't photography. Nor Photography.
No more than Plant Orchids, Play Football or Make Camembert.
The matter is about consider oneself as a pro or as an amateur.
A professional has a better gear and depends on commissions.
An amateur has worse gear, and photograph for pure enjoyment.
As a graphic designer, I've commissioned photographs to some pros, and
learnt a lot working with them.
But I don't envy them. Quite the opposite.
They shared their knowledge, but I am the one who enjoy with it, later.
I've not to photograph wedding after wedding, week after week, nor
basketball games, fashion shows, political meetings, air traffic controllers
strikes, kitchen furniture, celebrities, etc.
When I take my camera, it's just to enjoy photography. Pure pleasure.
And, sometimes, I even can use the result in my job as a graphic designer;-)
When something you love turns into a job, it stops being fun after a while,
for a vast majority, in most professions. It's true you can expect some
satisfaction, time to time. But only a few privileged pros can say
otherwise.
An amateur has no more pressure than his own demand.
The matter isn't about photography.
It's about job or pleasure.
Cheers,
Marc