Subject: [Leica] Gentlemen V Players
From: foto at marcdufour.net (Marc Dufour)
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2010 22:43:17 +0100

I fully endorse you comment, Alastair.
Marc

-----Mensaje original-----
De: lug-bounces+foto=marcdufour.net en leica-users.org
[mailto:lug-bounces+foto=marcdufour.net en leica-users.org] En nombre de
afirkin en afirkin.com
Enviado el: domingo, 05 de diciembre de 2010 22:37
Para: Leica Users Group
Asunto: [Leica] Gentlemen V Players

The discussion on payment for photographs can never be "solved", but it
does raise, for me, some interesting issues.

When I was a kid, doctors in Australia worked pro-bono in public hospitals
and made their income with private patients. It was seen as duty, it was
'expected'. They were treated like gods; again it was 'expected'. In 1972
Gough came to power and told them that this was not the way of the modern
world: they would all be paid. For some, it has been downhill ever since.

I don't want to make this a long diatribe, so here is my point. Times
change. The 'free-market' and capitalism are winning at this point in
history. The old 'feudalism' of Europe is lost to the success of the New
world. I like the idea of amateur, not as inept, but in its original
meaning of "love", people to did things for the love of it, and were often
considered the best of class. To be an amateur was to be the top of your
"profession", whereas now we use the term professional to encompass the
excellence once attributed to the amateur.

People give away their labor all the time: volunteers for church, FIFA,
The Olympics etc. We are told they are invaluable, and they are. They do
the work for nothing, usually receive nothing and 'make money' for the
professionals who run these operations. There are plans to use the grey
army of the baby boomers in this capacity more and more.

I like being an amateur photographer, it has advantages, and I appreciate
professional photographers and support their rights as well. There is
plenty of room for both, but neither was meant to be 'easy'.

Alastair