Subject: [Leica] ReadyNAS Questions.....
From: alal at poly.edu (A. Lal)
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2010 17:06:58 -0500

I, too, was interested in an NAS some time ago. My aim was to transfer my
music colletion to hard disk and stream it to players around the home.

This is a site I found particularly useful: smallnetbuilder.com

If you look at the NAS section there are reviews of NAS' and a number of
guides that will be of assistance to newbies.

And if you still want to get a ReadyNAS, the deal of the day posted there is
a NETGEAR ReadyNAS Duo RND2000 for $ 179 from newegg.com

An update for audiophiles here. I ended up building my own mini-itx PC
around an Intel fanless dual coreatom  D510 board with a 2TB Samsung
Spinpoint F4 drive and installed on it  Vortexbox 1.6 , a Fedora 14
distribution with squeezeserver,  DLNA server, auto CD ripper and tagger and
many other goodies pre-configured. See vortexbox.org. I cannot recommend it
too highly. Everything just worked properly straight after the install.

Leica-wallahs with an interest in computer audio might find these sites of
interest:

www.computeraudiophile.com

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=133.0

http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/etv.mpl?forum=pcaudio

www.vortexbox.org

While the computer info may be useful, tread carefully when it comes to
audio talk on these sites for they have a fair bit of audiophile mumbo-jumbo
too.