Subject: [Leica] Giving away pictures
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (Doug Herr)
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2010 17:18:11 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

Dr. Ted Grant wrote:

> Lawrence Zeitlin offered:
>>Tina, I fully agree with your position but you are not describing the
>>world as it is. It is harder to make a decent living as an independent
>>professional photographer than it is as an actor or even a poet.
>>Considering
>>the number of professional quality cameras out there, only the tiniest
>>fraction deliver pictures that are ever published. Given the quality
>>standards imposed by stock agencies, vanishingly few P&S pictures will ever
>>make the grade regardless of merit unless of a particularly newsworthy
>>event.
>

>Hi Larry,
>My reaction to people who give their photos away just for a credit line?
>(Sorry I can't do that as my use of the language would be unbearable!)
>Trust
>me!

Ted you took the words right out of my mouth ;)  However I see no end to the
supply of people who are so hungry for 15 seconds of fame that they'll do it
for free.  I doubt there's much I can do to hold back this tide but I'm sure
not going to participate in it; the profit margin in giving photos away is
so small that not even infinite volume will make up for the loss.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

Replies: Reply from steve.barbour at gmail.com (Steve Barbour) ([Leica] Giving away pictures)