Subject: [Leica] Giving away pictures
From: steve.barbour at gmail.com (Steve Barbour)
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2010 17:36:34 -0800

On Dec 4, 2010, at 5:18 PM, Doug Herr wrote:

> Dr. Ted Grant wrote:
>

>> Lawrence Zeitlin offered:
>>> Tina, I fully agree with your position but you are not describing the
>>> world as it is. It is harder to make a decent living as an independent
>>> professional photographer than it is as an actor or even a poet.
>>> Considering
>>> the number of professional quality cameras out there, only the tiniest
>>> fraction deliver pictures that are ever published. Given the quality
>>> standards imposed by stock agencies, vanishingly few P&S pictures will
>>> ever
>>> make the grade regardless of merit unless of a particularly newsworthy
>>> event.
>>

>> Hi Larry,
>> My reaction to people who give their photos away just for a credit line?
>> (Sorry I can't do that as my use of the language would be unbearable!)
>> Trust
>> me!
>
> Ted you took the words right out of my mouth ;)  However I see no end to
> the supply of people who are so hungry for 15 seconds of fame that they'll
> do it for free.  I doubt there's much I can do to hold back this tide but
> I'm sure not going to participate in it; the profit margin in giving
> photos away is so small that not even infinite volume will make up for the
> loss.

I agree,

I didn't want to enter this discussion, but it has made me think of present
day analogous concerns in medicine where pressures exist for free medical
advice from experts, "the curbside consult"....after all it's only advice,
nothing changes hands, so why not make managed care providers happy by
saving money, rendering free advice about patient care, why not ....help,
look smart, reduce costs, and save lives to boot....

as they say   .......some advice is free, correct advice will cost.

Steve