Subject: [Leica] Comparison M9, R9
From: benedenia at gmail.com (Marty Deveney)
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2010 11:30:40 +1030

It depends on your intent for the shot.  The lower contrast of the 80
R lens makes the light look more subdued.  It's one of the things *I*
like about older lenses: on digital you can make the shot look harder
later very easily in post processing, or on B&W film you can develop
longer or use a harder grade of paper or a higher filter number when
printing (which is why Salgado likes Pentax medium format lenses).
Colour film makes adjusting this harder, and I think is where a lot of
the motivation for higher contrast lenses came from before 2000.  If
you look closely I bet the M shot has a lot more fine detail, which
may be important to you too, which is why Doug Herr uses those
contrasty Leica APO R lenses.

Marty