Subject: [Leica] Commonwealth Games
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2010 08:44:25 +0530

Geoff,
I just said media, which included ours! There are so many TV news channels
around (7 national news channels in English alone, and dozens more in the
many local languages) that each anchor thinks that the only way to attract
attention is to scream his lungs off on any minor thing. They are extremely
irritating on a day to day basis - but this competitive approach has a good
side, too - they also are bringing to light many more instances of
corruption, misuse of power, etc.

There is another point that I forgot to mention last time - when all this
brouhaha on Delhi was going on, apparently your security and media forgot to
tell your cricket team not to come  - they were in India on a tour. Of
course they come pretty often, understand the ethos of India, and not
insignificantly earn tons of money here either by endorsements or in the IPL
(I root routinely for Mathew Hayden, Doug Bollinger and Mike Hussey when
they represent Chennai Super Kings in the IPL).

By the way banning cameras, food and liquid is standard  security procedure
here for all major sporting events that draw big crowds, like cricket test
or one day matches and all IPL matches, and has been for over 10 years now.

Cheers
Jayanand