Subject: [Leica] OT: Printing : Apple Epson 3800
From: kanner at acm.org (Herbert Kanner)
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 23:14:29 -0700

Here is my experience learning to print from my Mac, an experience
which may be irrelevant to the current discussion because I bought my
iMac in the days of Tiger and have seen no reason to spend $129 to
upgrade the OS. Well, there may be a reason, because Tiger won't run
LR3, but so far I'm happy with LR2. Allegedly one of the advantages
of LR3 is better noise reduction, but I bought NoiseNinja for the
occasional ISO 2000 shots.

When my wife bought a brand new MacBookPro this year, there were
three "free" or almost free Epson printers to choose from as a bonus.
Getting advice from a pro shop in my neighborhood, Bear Images, I
chose the Artisan 50, a $100 printer on the basis that it used six
separate color cartridges. Of course, this is strictly a non-pro
printer, having an 8" bed.

I do calibrate my monitor with the least expensive Spyder. After many
horrible results, I discovered that if I chose ColorSync from among
the three options, I actually got prints that were quite close to
what I saw on my monitor. This seemed strange; I expected the choice
of "Printer Manages Things" would be correct. Ultimately, poking
around on the Apple goodies, I discovered that Color Sync was an
application, a useless application, for creating a monitor profile by
waving your hands in the air. So, it now made sense that "Color Sync"
implied using the monitor profile.

That cheap Epson makes amazingly good prints. When I set it at it
slowest printing--a couple of minutes for even a 4 x 6, the print
structure is so fine that it can barely be seen with a 30X
microscope. That is gross overkill as far as the naked eye is
concerned, but I still do it.

As an interesting sidelight, a friend in England had a shot with
really garish colors.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tug/4682114216/

Wanting to put it on his wall, he had a couple of commercial shops
create prints on some fancy Kodak photographic paper. Just to show
one-upsmanship, I made a letter size print on my cheap Epson and
mailed it to him. The response was that my print was better than the
expensive commercial prints he had gotten.

For what all that blather is worth,

Herb

--
Herbert Kanner