Subject: [Leica] Translation of question and answer session with Leica Camera executives
From: richard at imagecraft.com (Richard Man)
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2010 02:35:51 -0700

Ah, so it's not even "may be we will look at it in 2 years, but NEVER" :-(

(well not that I use the R systems, but seeing stuff from Doug and George,
clearly there is something there there)

On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 2:15 AM, Douglas Sharp <douglas.sharp at gmx.de>
wrote:

>  I quote:
>
> R-SYSTEM
> A digital solution in the form of a R10 was not presentable. Such an
> investment would have been to great for Leica. The development of the
> S-System cost ?30m. A similar effort for a digital R was not fundable.
>

> Not presentable (nicht darstellbar) should be "not feasible" - it's an
> expression often used by engineers - so what was actually meant above was
>
> "we took a look at the idea and shelved it 'cos we couldn't afford it in a
> month of Sundays, and it wouldn't be profitable even if we could"
>
> Cheers
> Douglas
>

> On 06.10.2010 06:00, Geoff Hopkinson wrote:
>
>> Absolutely understandable disappointment for R lens owners of course.
>> However the expectaiton for a 'solution' this Photokina came entirely from
>> speculation and desire rather than specific promise. All largely
>> unremarked
>> here but there has been an awful lot of anguish and emotional outpouring,
>> dummy spitting, rants and stompimg out of the room in the (dedicated) L
>> Camera Forum.
>>
>> Stefan Daniel told us in mid 2009 that they were working on the 'suitable
>> solution' but not to expect it before this Photokina etc.  That of course
>> has now slipped further but at least they have provided some slightly more
>> specific information on the possible form that it may take (in general
>> terms). I think that Leica Camera have learnt a lesson there and are less
>> likely to provide any specific models and developments that are only
>> planned
>> or not.
>> According to an attendee at the LHSA meeting in Wtezlar Leica management
>> have now excluded the possible solution prior to photokina 2012.
>> Personally I am still stunned tht the S2 development costs were some 30
>> million EURO and I note their comment that other medium format camera
>> manufacturers occupied something like 50% less floor space at pk. Not a
>> reassuring indicator for the genre, if unsurprising.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Geoff
>> http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman
>>

>> On 6 October 2010 13:33, Jayanand Govindaraj<jayanand at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>  Looks like they are working overtime to 'repair their finances' for the
>>> time
>>> being. Can't blame them for that, it is a pragmatic business decision.
>>> Cheers