Subject: [Leica] Translation of question and answer session with Leica Camera executives
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2010 11:15:51 +0200

  I quote:

R-SYSTEM
A digital solution in the form of a R10 was not
presentable. Such an investment would have been to
great for Leica. The development of the S-System cost
?30m. A similar effort for a digital R was not fundable.

Not presentable (nicht darstellbar) should be "not
feasible" - it's an expression often used by engineers
- so what was actually meant above was

"we took a look at the idea and shelved it 'cos we
couldn't afford it in a month of Sundays, and it
wouldn't be profitable even if we could"

Cheers
Douglas

On 06.10.2010 06:00, Geoff Hopkinson wrote:
> Absolutely understandable disappointment for R lens owners of course.
> However the expectaiton for a 'solution' this Photokina came entirely from
> speculation and desire rather than specific promise. All largely unremarked
> here but there has been an awful lot of anguish and emotional outpouring,
> dummy spitting, rants and stompimg out of the room in the (dedicated) L
> Camera Forum.
>
> Stefan Daniel told us in mid 2009 that they were working on the 'suitable
> solution' but not to expect it before this Photokina etc.  That of course
> has now slipped further but at least they have provided some slightly more
> specific information on the possible form that it may take (in general
> terms). I think that Leica Camera have learnt a lesson there and are less
> likely to provide any specific models and developments that are only
> planned
> or not.
> According to an attendee at the LHSA meeting in Wtezlar Leica management
> have now excluded the possible solution prior to photokina 2012.
> Personally I am still stunned tht the S2 development costs were some 30
> million EURO and I note their comment that other medium format camera
> manufacturers occupied something like 50% less floor space at pk. Not a
> reassuring indicator for the genre, if unsurprising.
>
> Cheers
> Geoff
> http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman
>

> On 6 October 2010 13:33, Jayanand Govindaraj<jayanand at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> Looks like they are working overtime to 'repair their finances' for the
>> time
>> being. Can't blame them for that, it is a pragmatic business decision.
>> Cheers
>> Jayanand
>>
>> On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 4:08 AM, Geoff Hopkinson<hopsternew at gmail.com
>>> wrote:
>>> Andy Barton, a MOD on the L Camera Forum has posted a summary of
>>> from Leica Camera Executives to a number of questions on Leica products
>> and
>>> policy.
>>> You can read it here, even if not a meber of that forum
>>>

>> http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/customer-forum/144758-leica-luf-%40-pkina-english.html
>>> Cheers
>>> Geoff