Subject: [Leica] IMGs: Beauty and its beholders
From: leicaslacker at gmail.com (kyle cassidy on the LUG)
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2010 11:13:37 -0400

In photographing a human face, or a landscape, the photographer has a great
choice of camera placement & lighting -- Ansel Adams didn't stand under a
sign that said "scenic view" and make a photograph, he found those iconic
places & waited for the proper light (and there is a whole sub-genre of
recreating landscape photos that other people have already done which I'm
very lukewarm about). Likewise, you will find book after book of a
particular photographer's portraits of faces, but I don't think you'll find
an art photographer who's made a name for themselves photographing
sculptures. Not saying it couldn't be done (Andreas Serano perhaps tried for
a year or so), but that it would be very difficult to make a book that's
about your photographs and not the sculptor's work.