Subject: [Leica] SD card malfunction
From: taniel.dan at gmail.com (Daniel Tan)
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 15:13:16 +1000

Mmmmm.

Interesting idea.
Technically when you format any digital media it overwrites everything with
0's (Or 1s. I forget.), creates a blank file system and a new MBR (master
boot record). Something like that anyway.

There shouldn't be any 'digital debris' anywhere. That's against the whole
point of formatting the card.

"Quickformats" are slightly different. All that does is create a blank file
system and a new MBR but leaves existing data intact. The
camera/cardreader/whatever should then see the media as blank, though your
'digital debris' certainly exists here.

I'm pretty sure that all cameras (or at least most) full format + set up
their custom file structures.