Subject: [Leica] SearchingŠ
From: philippe.amard at sfr.fr (philippe.amard at sfr.fr)
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 20:55:29 +0200 (CEST)

Message du : 27/08/2010
De : "kyle cassidy " <leicaslacker at gmail.com>
A : "Leica Users Group" <lug at leica-users.org>
Copie ? :
Sujet : Re: [Leica] Searching?

Richard is correct "any good image should be good without words".

The idea it is that it's possible, probably, likely that at some point
if your image survives, it will not survive in context -- images will
be viewed by people who don't speak the language any writing was
written in, images may be removed from context and reproduced, we have
museums filled with medieval and ancient paintings depicting things
art historians can only speculate about -- they're either good
paintings or they're not.

Good for whom?
To what intent?
Seen with which century's eyes?
Just think that in the middle ages people first focused on the background
and then only then looked at the center of an image. and there was no
perspective as such.
It is all about conventions.

I'm not sure we're talking about the same things, share the same concepts:
in my eyes, IMHO as the Lug will have it put, George's last offerings are
real art, surpassing in that most of the photographs I've seen on the LUG
over the years.
This is not a defence of George's talents, which are certain to me. It is a
defense of another artistic form where words and images are intimately
intermingled, which requires two sets of skills, those of a photographer,
and those of a poet.

Not meant to offense anyone here.

The gear, the document, the pixels and/or the subject are irrelevant if
there's no soul.
George's posts (and of course other Luggers') do own one, or more ;-)

Most respectfully.
Philippe

Your photographs need to be good photographs -- Dorthea Lang's
"Migrant Mother" comes to mind -- it doesn't need any text to tell
it's story, you can tell by looking at it -- eyes, expressions, the
destitute context.... Imagine instead the photo looked like this:
http://northshorecollaborativelaw.com/images/two_kids_w_mom.jpg and
had the caption "this mother and her children are part of the great
exodus caused by the dust bowl, they are seeking work in a migrant
camp, their life is very difficult" -- one tells the story by itself,
the other needs to be propped up with text to convey the story.

This isn't to say that images and text can't go together, or else
national geographic would have no words -- but your photos have to be
able to still tell their story if the words are stripped away.