Subject: [Leica] Greatest B&W Printers of all time?
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 01:27:49 -0400

In my opinion the hardest thing about darkroom printing is the keeping of
objectivity. You loose perspective in the middle of a printing session. I
think it has to do with the "white" light to safelight back and forth. Wake
up the next morning and look at a a stack of just dry prints which you'd
talked yourself into thinking was not way too dark or way too light but
seeing it fresh you know they are. And so does your little kids or pets and
so will who ever you show them too.
A custom printer (which I have done) does not have the luxury of making
"work prints" sometimes on RC paper which one can have around for a week
before you go in with the fiber and go for the real thing. Glancing at the
post it on the back you made for yourself on a Wednesday afternoon "way too
dark by a stop and a half dummy".

--------------------
Mark William Rabiner
Photography
mark at rabinergroup.com

> From: Marty Deveney <benedenia at gmail.com>
> Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 12:50:04 +0930
> To: Leica Users Group <lug at leica-users.org>
> Subject: Re: [Leica] Greatest B&W Printers of all time?
>
> V.I. Voltz, the Manhattan identity, and I are old friends.  We shared
our
> first martini together in Cambridge, at Brown's, among the ferns
under the
> rotating fans . . . long story.

The first thing I did after I got Voja's
> prints from my negs was to
make 4x5 copies of them for repro printing.  It was
> a wise move,
looking back.

Richard, read Mike Johnston's follow-up to the
> story.  I can make
prints as good as Voja's - it's just that it takes me a
> weekend and
half a box of paper to do what he can do in half an hour.  If you
> want
to make silver prints, go to John Sexton's workshop.  If you want to
make
> inkjet prints, go to George DeWolfe's.  There's nothing stopping
you from
> taking one this year and the other next year.

Critical points, often
> overlooked, but mentioned in this article, are
that the two most important
> things in printing are visual sensitivity
i.e. you need to look at a print and
> know when it is right and when it
isn't, and practice.  Voja spent thirty
> hours a week, forty-six weeks
a year, for more than thirty years in the
> darkroom.  No-one can expect
to just jump in and have that judgment or skill.
> The best things
about workshops are that you can see really first-rate work,
> which
helps develop sensitivity, and technique that can help you get
> there,
and faster.

Marty

On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 9:36 AM, Robert D. Baron