Subject: [Leica] Nixies
From: shino at panix.com (Rei Shinozuka)
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 23:10:05 -0400

  On 08/10/2010 08:20 PM, Lawrence Zeitlin wrote:
> Rei,
>
> Indeed you are right. I'm always amused when bad guys in movies trigger off
> a state of the art nuclear device and the time to detonation is shown on
> Nixie tubes, a half century old technology.
My vague recollection was that the display in the Goldfinger Fort Knox
nuke was composed of three Nixies (you remember, that countdown that
ultimately stops at 0-0-7), but after careful reviewing this is not the
case.  The digits in the film were well-formed like Nixies and were
definitely stacked in depth like Nixies, but the illumination was
clearly not the continuous cathodes of the Nixie.

Google and Wikipedia, as usual, were my friends:

".. the atomic bomb countdown display in Goldfinger was another
technology from the same period: edge-lit lightguide readouts. These use
small incandescent light bulbs at the edges of plates of clear plastic
stacked together with narrow gaps between them. In each plate, a single
numeral is formed from a series of "dimples" drilled from the back side.
The plates are assembled in a holder so that their edges are not easily
seen. A bulb shining in one edge will cause little or no light to be
emitted from the smooth faces, due to the optical phenomenon known as
"total internal reflection". However, the drilled dimples are at a less
obtuse angle to the approaching light rays, and have rough surfaces,
therefore scatter the light more nearly perpendicular to the plane of
the plates' front surfaces, where it can escape to be seen by the
viewer. Thus, the digits appear as a group of bright white dots
apparently floating in a small dark space without any visible support.
Contrast this with nixies, which display figures as continuous lines
broken only by the fine anode mesh and the lines of other digits which
may lie in front of the lit digit, always glow in the pink-orange-red
range, and are usually placed behind red or dark orange filters to
enhance contrast. Although the white(ish) light of edge-lit displays
could be filtered to any desired color, historically this was almost
never done."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk%3ANixie_tube#Were_these_in_Goldfinger.3F

Here's a guy who made a clock out of edge-lit display technology and LED
illumination:

http://users.rcn.com/ted.johnson/erc_clock.htm

YLSNED (You learn something new every day.)

-rei

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Nixies)