Subject: [Leica] Was Today is 8/9/10 Now Metric
From: shino at panix.com (Rei Shinozuka)
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2010 16:49:24 -0400

  This metric debate led me to find this intriguing site from some Brits
(of all people).  It's an eloquent and cogent expression of why we
yahoos cling to our inches and pounds.

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/estatopia/inch.htm

Quotes:

"Metric is a (scientific) way of measuring the world as if we were not
in it, not a part of it. But we are in the world, we are  a part of it
and we need a measurement system which takes account of our existence
and which allows us to know our place in relation to nature. If we
understand that we are part of nature then we will be less inclined to
destroy it."

"Those who know their history will know that the metre was invented in
France in 1790 and is, allegedly, one ten-millionth of the distance from
the North Pole to the Equator. The invention of the metre was part of
the Revolutionaries' rational and scientific response to what they
regarded as the superstitions of the past. By contrast, the British
Imperial system (as used by the Greeks and the Romans as well as in
pre-revolutionary France) is anthropometric which means it is based on
the human frame. From time immemorial units of measure have been derived
from the human figure: palm, hand, foot, cubit etc. Some fall out of use
and become archaic but those which remain do so for the very good reason
that they are convenient, practical, easy to understand and, above all,
easy to visualise which is a necessary part of translating working
drawings into a built structure. This was clearly demonstrated to me
when I recently had a garage built. The workmen, all of whom were under
30 years of age were thinking and working in feet and inches - 18" deep
foundations, 4" step etc. When any change such as that wrought in 1965
is mooted, nobody ever consults the real experts, the people who
actually do the work. Where theory and practice do not coincide then
theory is wrong and practice is right. "

"The reasons put forward in support of metric are far from compelling.
They range from the feeble (everyone else uses it) to the dimwitted (we
have ten fingers for counting on). There has never been, to my
knowledge, a logical demonstration of its superiority /in use/ over
traditional measurement. One of the most famous architects of the Modern
Movement, Le Corbusier, used feet and inches to calculate his twin
modular system of design after struggling and failing to work it out in
metres and centimetres."

"We have now all been thoroughly brainwashed into accepting the
weatherman on TV and radio telling us the temperatures in Centigrade (or
Celsius or whatever it's called this week). But there is a curious thing
happens during the summer months. When it gets hot outside, the
newspapers and radio and TV start telling us the temperatures in
Fahrenheit with phrases such as "..in the nineties". This is
understandable because talking about temperatures "..in the high
thirties" doesn't quite have the same impact. Nor does talking in
Centigrade give any indication of the /relative/ temperature, i.e. how
it feels to us. Is it hot or cold today? Will I need a coat if I go out?"

-rei