Subject: [Leica] Was Today is 8/9/10 Now Metric
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 11:56:17 -0700

Unfortunately, because we live next to the elephant, the elephant
dictates a lot of our dance moves.

A lot of things in Canada are metric. Speeds on roads, temperatures,
and amount of gas we buy for our car. But because of the elephant
factor, we buy things in 473ml sizes, and generally talk about car
'mileage' in mpg instead of l/100km.

The construction industry tried hard to go metric in the 80's, and I
did a number of jobs, particularly big ones in metric. The
authorities also dictated that larger projects be submitted in SI
units. But there were always issues, such as when the ceiling grid
was metric as specified (1500mm spacing) and the light fixtures
ordered turned out to be imperial (5' or 1524mm). Lots of headaches.
Small contractors never went metric. Wood dimensions never went
metric. We use 2x4's, which are actually 1-1/2" x 3-1/2" and while
they are sometimes referred to as 38x89mm, they are still based on
imperial sizes. So it goes for door sizes, sheathing material sizes
and everything else. Even the Building By-Laws, which are in metric,
use converted imperial measurements rather than SI units. Sometimes
they're rounded off, sometimes not.

In any case all jobs are now done in imperial measurements, the
authorities accept drawings in imperial measurements for all types of
work and we have to do conversions constantly.