Subject: [Leica] What are the rumors around Leica and Photokina? WAS : Leica annual report
From: richard at imagecraft.com (Richard Man)
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2010 23:29:25 -0700

On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 11:17 PM, Marty Deveney <benedenia at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I'm still hoping for a digital camera with a luminance-only,
> monochrome sensor.  It's probably just a dream, but I can dream.

Bear Images made a 40MP monochrome only sensor, but according to some, the
improvement is not "that much."

OTOH, if they can make a monochrome full frame sensor with much higher tonal
depth, that would be another story.

> I have heard the same comments about the 50/2 (too expensive to
> improve performance) but now that Leica aren't scared to charge $5K
> for a lens, they might go for it.  I hope so: the modern 50/2 lenses
> are all essentially tweaks on the same six element design.  I'd like
> to see some innovation and some modern design incorporated into it.

But why? The 50 'cron is often said to be one of the best lens ever. What
can be improved on it? Unlike the 35 'lux ASPH, I don't think people are
complaining about focus shift or close focus performance?

Put it this way:
50/1.4 ASPH - light year ahead performance wise (yes I know some people like
the old one for bokeh, magic look etc., but you know what I mean)
70/2 ASPH, much smaller, much better performance vs. the old 75/1.4 'lux
(yes, I know, the 'lux has better bokeh, which is why I am keeping it...)
Noctilux /0.95 ASPH, much better performance and even 11% faster!! (and this
one has no dispute!)
21/24 ASPH 'lux. much faster
35/1.4 ASPH II, no focus shift

"everyone" says that the 50/2 optic design is at a sweet spot, and that the
Summicron or the Planar are pretty much as good as it gets. What can a new
design do?

Marty