Subject: [Leica] What are the rumors around Leica and Photokina? WAS : Leica annual report
From: pklein at threshinc.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2010 23:11:49 -0700

The annual LHSA meeting is in Wetzlar/Solms this fall, and if I'm not
mistaken, it coincides with Photokina. There was some talk that Leica
asked LHSA to have their meeting in Germany this year, that "something
big" was going to happen, and wouldn't you like to be there for it? Now
we have this "teaser" in the annual report.

*Something* is in the works.  But who knows what that something is?  It
could be anything from a major new model to an exciting new rebadged
Panasonic point-and-shoot.  As to the 50 Summicron, I've heard someone
from Leica (I think Stefan Daniel) say that they had looked at improving
the 50 Summicron, but it simply wasn't cost-effective to do so. Of
course, they could change their minds.  In the face of a $5,000 Summilux
Asph, hey, a $4,000 Summicron would seem positively economical.

If a new camera model truly is in the works, I'm with Mark on preferring
something with better high ISO to more resolution.

Stay tuned to the rumor mill for further hints, and you, too, can become
part of the carefully calculated Internet buzz. Meanwhile, I will
continue to shoot pictures with my laughably obsolete M8 and my creaky
legacy lenses.

--Peter