Subject: [Leica] Photoshopping for Truth?
From: ricc at embarqmail.com (Ric Carter)
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2010 23:25:15 -0400

Look, we make assumptions in this discussion. The first is that we know what
is happening in the original shot we see here. The president could as easily
be mulling over a gummi-bear stuck on the toe of his flip flop. Framing the
platforms where they are in frame pushes us in a direction as does the
headline and context. The president could as easily be mulling over a
gummi-bear stuck on the toe of his flip flop.

If the photographer had run forward, and gotten the same shot while cropping
the others out in camera, I don't know that we would have the same vehemence
on the topic. But, the journalistic difference would have been nil.

Another is that the photo of three people portrays reality or truth. So far
as reality alteration is concerned, how does a group of three people on the
beach begin to touch on the reality of the scores of administrative
assistants, press writers, press photographers, and Secret Service agents
that must have been strewn along that beach. The cover artist merely dropped
two more people out of a photo in which the photographer had already removed
50 to 100 other people.

Every photo is an alteration of what is really happening. Good stewardship
makes us steer our changes in the direction of portraying what is happening,
not lying about it. We can never show reality, only put a window frame on it
that tells a story, hopefully a true one.

ric