Subject: [Leica] Film/slide scanner recommendations? Samples? Anyone use Braun?
From: chs2018 at med.cornell.edu (Chris Saganich)
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2010 12:17:59 -0400

The Epson V750 and V750 pro with anti-reflectance glass have replaced
film scanners.  What is left on the market is only used equipment or
very high-end professional gear like the Imacon which is needed if
giant gallery prints are to be made.  Again the final use of the
scans have to be explicit before deciding what level of equipment is
needed.  The Epson V750 Pro was my second choice and would have
replaced both my dead film scanner and my aging flatbed scanner.  I
had reservations regarding a flatbed scanner due mostly to 35mm film
flatness and focus issues which can be overcome by the additional
purchase of anti newton glass inserts for the Epson film holder.  The
cost of the scanner $800 for the V750 Pro plus AN glass tipped the
price scale for me at this time so I went with the less expensive
alternative, a used film scanner.  I hope to get 4 or five years out
of it.  I would go with the V750pro if new is an important issue and
be confident that the results will be as good as any film scanner for
the same price range.  Again, If were planning a gallery show with
large prints >16x20 then non of these mid range scanners will cut it anyway.

Chris