Subject: [Leica] Printing Question
From: pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig)
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2010 15:39:23 +0100

All,

I am having serious problems trying to print to and HP Photosmart C4780.
(B&W)
Images that are dark and crisp on screen are coming out grey and flat,
without
sufficient depth of black (Dmax). I have tried printing in greyscale and in
colour. I have printed using both Gray 2.2 and SRGB; perceptual on and off.

It's running off a PC running PSE over XP. HOwever I have tried printing
similar
images from Gimp over Linux (Ubuntu) connected to the same printer and the
problems are pretty much the same.

I checked both the screen against reference charts and it is OK.

The papers that I have been trying to use are Ilford Galerie - several kinds
-
and Harman Gloss FB AI. All produce the same sort of results. Interestingly
the
results are sometimes better if the image size is reduced.

Ilford/Harman don't have a profile for this printer/paper combination.

Anyone any thoughts?

Peter

For reference the photo is here:

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/PeterDzwig/album83/album293/GordesSunrise23460022_edited-1.tif.html>
(I know its v. high contrast, but there is detail in the shadows that I want.
--

Dr Peter Dzwig

Replies: Reply from kcarney1 at cox.net (Ken Carney) ([Leica] Printing Question)
Reply from richard at imagecraft.com (Richard Man) ([Leica] Printing Question)