Subject: [Leica] M9 white balance settings
From: imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 12:01:10 -0500

I pretty much always use manual setting of Kelvin temperature.
Decades of using a Color Temperature meter probably makes that a tad
easier for me.
Yet the digital instant feedback also provides a quick learning curve.
I enjoy making educated guesses of K? and seeing how close I get.

Best white balance should be achieved using "manual white balance"
with a white card (shirt, napkin, etc) in the light of your subject;
fill the frame with the "white" and click - balance set.

Then of course you can always spend money on the disks and domes.

Bottom line the firmware cannot account for the actual scene:
how much green from the trees, or that large red brick building
spilling its color onto the subject.

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george at imagist.com