Subject: [Leica] OT: Why God Made UV Filters
From: rclark01 at comcast.net (Robert Clark)
Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 09:06:17 -0400

I can attest to Frank's observation regarding motor sport in the USA.
Mostly, higher income consumers of sport attend National Football League
games, collegiate football games, with smaller numbers attending baseball,
basketball events. While many of the NASCAR events attract large crowds,
they are mostly blue collar. As a personal example - I follow NASCAR on TV
periodically...when they race on road courses and the big super speedway
races. Mostly, motor sport fans here do not "get" F1. There's no banging, no
low tech restrictor plate type races that generates collisions, and the
technology is not of interest. For me (an unusual American in this regard),
F1 is worth the effort of traveling to Indy or Montreal for the races. F1
has the internationsl flavor of multiple cultures...like the Colombian
contingent shouting "Montoya, Montoya, Montoya for two straight hours!"
While it is expensive (one F1 weekend ticket in Canada can be $500), it is
worth it to a small number of us! We watch the races compulsively whenever
SPEEDTV broadcasts them (two am from China, four am from Kuala Lumpur, or
8:00am from Monaco) and have our live timing on the computer so we know
who's in the pits while SPEEDTV breaks away for advertisements. Count me as
one of the "tiny but knowledgeable and enthusiatic core of F1 supporters in
the US" and its great to pick up inteesting stories from our own Frank
Dernie from time to time!!

Robert Clark
Lancaster, PA