Subject: [Leica] OT: Why God Made UV Filters
From: profmason at yahoo.com (John Edwin Mason)
Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 20:25:45 -0700 (PDT)

> I wonder how much Co2 this generates and also I cannot help thinking
> about the connection between the culture that worships this kind of
> activity and the current disaster in the Gulf.

Nathan, I won't try to defend the indefensible.  But I will point out that
this is by no means a solely American phenomenon.  Consider, for a moment,
the vastly greater environmental damage caused by flying the entire Formula
1 circus -- cars, spares, crews, TV -- to Bahrain, Australia, Malaysia, and
China and then hauling it all over Europe.  A bit of auto worship on your
side of the ocean, too, I'd say.

> Wow, how close are those puppies from getting airborne?

Not close at all, Vick.  That truck generates tremendous downforce.  The
dragsters that tend sometimes to fly are the much smaller, much lighter,
much less powerful (and just as fast) low downforce Pro Mods and Pro Stocks,
which look a bit like cartoon versions of street cars.

--John

John Edwin Mason, Photography:
http://www.JohnEdwinMason.com
Charlottesville and Cape Town