Subject: [Leica] WTB : Leica 21mm f2.8 ASPH in silver (UK)
From: piers.hemy at gmail.com (piers@hemy.org)
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 19:59:34 +0100

No, the duty and VAT are due on used as well as new equipment, whether
sold by a merchant or a private seller - and on gifts. There is a
lower limit of about USD20 value (USD40 for gifts) below which nothing
is charged. And the *recipient* is responsible for accuracy of the
customs declaration!

On 4/17/10, Jeffery Smith <jsmith342 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Can't one sort of state that the equipment is "used"?
>
> Jeffery
>

> On Apr 17, 2010, at 1:09 PM, Joseph Yao wrote:
>
>> Nathan,
>>
>> Thanks for all the theoretical bits which I am well versed.  You play the
>> academic/lawyer and I am the businessman.
>>
>> I just make sure my UK customers don't have to pay import duties and VAT.
>>
>> Joseph
>>

>> On 18/04/2010 12:57 AM, "Nathan Wajsman" <photo at frozenlight.eu> wrote:
>>
>>> Joseph (and others),
>>>
>>> When someone resident in the EU buys something from a merchant outside
>>> the EU,
>>> the rule is that the recipient must pay his local VAT on delivery, plus
>>> any
>>> duty that may be applicable. In the case of photo equipment, the duty is
>>> small: something like 4% on bodies and nothing on lenses, or the other
>>> way
>>> round. The VAT is much more substantial, e.g. 17.5% in the UK if I am not
>>> mistaken.
>>>
>>> It is the job of the delivery company to collect the VAT and duty. Now,
>>> sometimes I have been lucky and the post office has simply delivered the
>>> product to me without any charges. This has happened both in the
>>> Netherlands
>>> and (much more frequently :-)) here in Spain. But it is an act of

>>> http://www.greatpix.eu