Subject: [Leica] Wow, the last word on Bokeh, from Zeiss
From: benedenia at gmail.com (Marty Deveney)
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 08:32:25 +0930

The newer asph lenses - the 50 Summilux, 75 Summicron, 21 & 24
Summiluxes and the 0.95 Nocti have what Doug Herr refers to aptly as
neutral bokeh.  The 35s, the 21 and 24 2.8s and the 90 AA have what I
would call harsh bokeh.  The 28 is somewhere in between.  I don't have
them all, but I currently have 4 and I've used them all, including
specific testing for bokeh.

References to the 50 1.4 asph being harsh are usually only in
comparison to the previous versions.  It seems particularly hard to
design a good 50 with good out of focus rendition.  The nicest are the
seven element Summicrons, and, outside Leica land, the Planar types
where the doublets have curved surfaces, not cemented flat surfaces -
the Pentax 50 1.4s are like this, as are a pile of other, lesser known
lenses.  But they're no use on a Leica M.

Bokeh is subjective and doesn't matter to some people, but I like my
out of focus areas to be smooth.  I also don't like the focus feel on
the newer Leica lenses with floating elements, but not badly enough to
drive me away from them completely, as it did to at least one LuGger a
few years ago.

Marty