Subject: [Leica] No emergency
From: jbm at jbm.org (Jeff Moore)
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 15:02:06 -0400

2010-04-14-06:04:38 Neil Beddoe:
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/nbeddoe/londonlife/L1032711.jpg.html
>
> M9, 75mm Summicron

Nice!  And thanks for posting a nice big version for those of us who
like to look at pictures properly on a large screen.

I wonder if there's a little bit more dark-area (trousers, tyres,
etc.) detail available in the raw image which could be included -- it
seems as if those parts are being dumped straight into inky black.

Which may be what you want.  But if not, note that the default
position of the black-clipping ("Blacks") control in Lightroom and
the Adobe Camera Raw plugin is something like 5, which often dumps a
lot into black.  Backing off on that until very little is absolutely
pure black, then possibly re-darkening (but not purely clipping) those
areas afterward, often helps with subtle detail.

Although something else seems odd -- the EXIF data shown by the LUG
Gallery for this image says `Color Space: Uncalibrated', which is
unconventional -- isn't there wide agreement that web images are
provided in the sRGB colorspace (and usually marked as 72 dpi)?
Getting all the colorspace/scaling/output-sharpening/jpeg-quality
stuff right once and then being able to forget about it is what
Lightroom export presets or Photoshop actions are for.

All of this may of course already be second nature to you -- I'm not
always sure of my audience.  So please forgive me if I'm talking about
things you understand better than I do, and second-guessing a
conscious decision.

 -Jeff