Subject: [Leica] Next word on Bokeh
From: jsmith342 at gmail.com (Jeffery Smith)
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 13:48:58 -0500

As a young photographer, I was more concerned with using the best aperture
for a certain lens. And f/5.6 was generally a pretty good choice. I didn't
have enough money to afford anything faster than f/2.

It wasn't until I got back into photography in the 1990's that I even
thought about out of focus parts of the photo (portraiture had generally
been done with my 105/2.5 Nikkor, and that fuzzied the background enough for
me). As more recent lenses seem to have gotten progressively uglier bokeh
(from pushing the envelope too much in another area of lens design?), I
really do take bokeh into account when using lenses at their wider apertures.

I think the 50/1.5 Nokton is perhaps the one modern lens where I see more
complaints about the ugly bokeh. For me, it was any mirror telephoto lens

Jeffery