Subject: [Leica] Advice wanted for carry camera
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 00:00:08 -0400

> Vince,
>
> I like my G11 a lot, but I almost NEVER use the optical viewfinder.
> It's squinty and not very clear even with diopter correction and gives
> you an incredibly poor idea of the actual field of view of the lens.
> IMHO, it's worthless, except as an emergency finder when bright
> sunlight or some other factor makes the LCD impossible to use. That's
> why I bought my GH1. Well actually I bought it so I could use my Leica
> and Nikon glass, but the viewfinder was the bonus that sealed the deal
> for me.
>
> Jim

I agree Jim.
Below is Larry Z's original post. Long lost in a flurry of mini camrea
posts.
He used to carry a  Leica IIIC or a Rollei 35.
These were cameras which could be used on real photo jobs and were 24x36mm
format and were otherwise taken seriously and could produce competitive
results.
The ones being mentioned on this thread are worthy of mentioning in the same
paragraph as  a IIIC.
You'll find them at the bottom of a pros camera bag as a backup the 4/3's
cameras or smaller.
They don't head out and do a job with one.
He's looking for a small camrea with a nice sized sensor.
Id think a 1.5 crop factor at the minimum.

The sensor on his current one is a 1/2.3

> For the last 50 years I've carried a camera with me most of the time and
> react almost instantly to a photo op. The camera has to be pocket sized so
> that it won't interfere with whatever else I am doing. For years it was an
> old Leica IIIc with a 35 mm f2.8 Canon lens or a 50 mm Elmar that could fit
> into the side pocket of a windbreaker. When I traveled it was usually a
> Rollei 35 in a small belt holster. I even carried a Minox when I wore a
> suit
> and tie. True, I owned bigger and more professional equipment which I used
> when I had to take serious pictures but they were usually too bulky to
> carry
> everyday. But for a variety of reasons I gave up my wet darkroom and my
> film
> cameras became too inconvenient to use. Now I carry a wafer thin Canon
> SD1200IS. It has a 10 MP sensor and is smaller and lighter than any of the
> others (except the Minox).
>

> The big problem is that when I post pictures to the LUG, I can see obvious
> quality differences between my pocket cameras and the M8 and M9 Leicas and
> DSLR's that most Luggers use. What I would like is suggestions for a carry
> digital camera that will close the gap. I don't expect M9 quality but I
> don't want to be embarrassed either. My criteria are the the camera has to
> be smaller and much lighter than a Barnack Leica and have an optical
> viewfinder. The optical finder is necessary because I wear bifocals and
> have
> to bob my head up and down like a pigeon when using a LCD camera screen.
> I'm
> not sure if any of the new 4/3 cameras will fill the bill but I'm not
> opposed to the format. I own an Olympus DSLR and I find it more than
> adequate. The problem is that I live more than 50 miles from any large
> camera store and I don't get to see and handle any of the newer compact
> cameras.
>

> Can any Lugger offer suggestions for a good carry camera?

Larry Z

[Rabs]
Mark William Rabiner

Replies: Reply from passaro.vince at gmail.com (Vince Passaro) ([Leica] Advice wanted for carry camera)