Subject: [Leica] Credit Card Fraud
From: jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols)
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 21:52:41 -0500

Hi Bob,

I suspected it was a rather sophisticated process.

>From the responses I have received from friends on two lists, I don't think
I made my point clearly.  Most cases reported by others involved invoices
from legitimate businesses, resulting from fraudulent use of card
information.  In my case, the invoice was from a business that does not
exist, but was using a slightly mispelled name of a legitimate web business.
One letter was omitted from the name of the real business.  However, the
nature of that business was one that did not fit my usual pattern of
charges.

I figure that anyone web-savvy enough to do that is also sharp enough to
know how to harvest numbers, or buy them from someone else who has done
that.

When I use a card locally, it almost never leaves my hand.  And currently,
printed charge receipts record only the last four digits of the card.
Someone would have to get "inside the system" at large chain businesses in
order to get the full number.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA