Subject: [Leica] Deer and Goose
From: benedenia at gmail.com (Marty Deveney)
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2010 16:01:49 +1030

What I mean is that the origin of CWD is unlikely to be manufactured
feeds; the prion appears unrelated to scrapie (which has been known
for hundreds of years), the vCJD/BSE prion, or human CJD.  It is one
of the few recent completely 'emergent' terrestrial wildlife diseases,
unrelated to all other known diseases of its type.  I face working
with emergent diseases in aquatic wildlife all the time, but it was
interesting to see that much of the animal health infrastructure built
to monitor AND MANAGE known diseases failed to detect the emergence of
a new disease or to manage its spread.  This paper:
http://www.oie.int/boutique/extrait/phchardonnet.pdf examines the
fundamental questions of the value of wildlife.  Although a lot of
people like the idea that we have wild animals, pristine places and
'wilderness' when it comes to acting (and paying) to protect and
manage them we often fall down.

Marty