Subject: [Leica] Demise of film
From: chs2018 at med.cornell.edu (Chris Saganich)
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2010 14:37:15 -0400

Eastman set-up that town for failure early on.  Before Eastman put
the screws to the place Rochester was one of the most successful and
creative cities in the North East regarding technology.  That's the
reason Eastman set up shop there because of the already highly
advanced work in precision manufacturing and  optical work.  Eastman
came to complete dominate the Rochester economy choking off or
swallowing up nearly every other business in town.  Xerox, named
Haloid at the time was a photo supply operation and survived the
Eastman onslaught because they were so small as to go
unnoticed.  They bought the rights to a process invented by a clerk
in an electrical machine patten office to copy diagrams for patten
research and then developed photo-copy paper and machines to use the
process.  By that time Rochester was already a efficient company town
and Xerox despite its innovative spirit couldn't return Rochester to
its pre-Kodak dynamic economy.  Efficient company towns are destined
to stagnate and fail so if your living in one get-out while you can
and don't look back!

Chris