Subject: [Leica] OT: Another maybe not so stupid GH1 question
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 22:08:30 -0400

> Your analogies brought back thoughts of a rig that I made when I was young
> and had little money to spare.  After reading about the Leica focaslide, I
> carved the necessary parts from wood (leftovers from the wooden packing
> crates in which the USAF shipped our meager household belongings when I
> came
> off active duty), and fitted them to the back of a 5x7 folding view camera
> that I had acquired.  With my IIIa installed, I set out to photograph an
> eclipse.  The rig worked, but the photos were never spectacular.  The parts
> remain in a closet, 57 years later.
>
> Jim Nichols

There is a new book out I'm going to buy despite the high relative cost it
cost like 50 or 60 bucks I may order it used. It gorgeous. And I've been
reading it in the bookstore over espressos and pomegranate and cranberry
juice. Its riveting. And I'm the rivet:
The Origins of American Photography
>From Daguerreotype to Dry-Plate, 1839-1885: The Hallmark Photographic
Collection at The Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art

It looks like the first presentation of Daguerreotypes the big birth year of
photography 1839 was done on a format which appeared to be 5x7 inches.
They had both the science club and the arts club both there in the middle of
Paris. And the English from across the bay. And Samula Morse who had thing
clicking thing he was pushing.

I'd love to be able to shoot with a 5x7 camrea some day.
Make contact sheets with a light bulb on  a chain maybe with no timer like
Ed Weston.
And walk around with a stack of them in the front pocket of my black canvas
Domke satchel.
All I need is a nice 5x7 sheet of glass.

http://yalepress.yale.edu/yupbooks/book.asp?isbn=9780300122862

[Rabs]
Mark William Rabiner