Subject: [Leica] OT: Another maybe not so stupid GH1 question
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 21:53:05 -0400

> What you describe George is a difference of a tiny movement played out
> hundreds and hundreds of yards away so that the tremor in the 35mm will
> entirely change its field of view (perhaps by 25 yards) while in the 8X10
> it
> might show as a small blur or be hardly noticeable or whatever.
>
> But the idea on a GF1 2X crop v. a Nikon 1.5 v. an M9 full frame, that a
> 45mm lens needs to be adjusted to that degree or any appreciable degree (so
> that for instance the 20mm pancake can be handily shot at 1/20 but switch
> the 45 and you have to be at 1/90) makes no sense to me. I understand the
> geometric principles at work just not at that scale. (Atomic nuclei have a
> gravitational force but the electrons don't notice it apparently.) Same
> here. It's on a practical level that I don't see it.  I think with that
> camera at its weight and those lenses you could easily shoot both at 1/15th
> if you had to and succeed (depending on your tremulousness) anywhere from 5
> to 8 times out of ten in not showing camera shake. Which is why I shoot in
> multiple mode always and eliminate the copies I don't want.
>
> We can drop this now because to the degree I'm going to get it I got it

The problem arises as there are two things which go on simultaneously.
1. There is the so called rule of them that you shoot a 50mm lens at a 50th
of a second or the closest one to it.
2. And there 's the real life people squeezing off shots with a 50 braced up
against a door jam at an 8th of a second firing off a half a dozen and
picking out the one out of those half dozen and not blowing it up very big
at all. Like three inches wide on 80 dot screen on news print.

The rule of them rule I think applied to darkroom 5x7's. A 5x enlargement.
Also digital photography for some unknown reason makes for much slower
shutter speeds able to be used. The way the shudder works no doubt. And the
fact than you can sharpen later to your hearts content almost. And people
have become quite accepting of the artfulness  and utility and reality of
soft images. Camera movement and subject movement. And missed focus. All no
big deal any more.
Life is not all 20 20 vision. Things go by us fast. Grab shots are grab
shots.

[Rabs]
Mark William Rabiner