Subject: [Leica] Samsung NX10
From: passaro.vince at gmail.com (Vince Passaro)
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 01:40:39 -0400

It's a little weird -- and a strong orthodoxy in the digital photo world
akin to eggs coming in three sizes the smallest being "Large" -- that he
says the APS-C sized sensor has "50 percent more area" than the mFT sensor.
In fact it has double the "area."  The area of a full frame (approx 36mm by
24mm) is 864 sq mm; the area of an APS-C sized sensor, approx 18 by 24,is
half the other at 432 sq mm; and the so called 2X sensor at roughly 12 X 18
is half again, at 216 sq mm -- one quarter the area of the full frame.  The
designation of 1.5 and 2 have to do with crop sizes not area of sensor. And
even if you go by the 1, 1.5, and 2 designations, then you'd say that the
APS-C offers a third larger crop than the mFT -- the half unit being a third
of the 1.5...

In retail if they buy at $12 and charge you $24 that's a "50 percent"
markup. We see/hear this and we think: you're lying. It's an industry
standard lie: only half of the retail price is profit, see, so it's a 50
percent markup. That's what Pogue is doing here but it's deceptive in terms
of people understanding what these things really are.

Why why why? Why David must everything be hyped as more than it is?  I love
my G1 but I know how small the sensor is and I'm living with the pain man.
It's like the woman who falls in love with and marries the guy with the --
never mind. Love is strange. Or as St. Jerome said: "Love knows nothing of
order."  Needless to say he was in a bit of hot water at the time.