Subject: [Leica] OT: so who's worthy of support in the world cup?
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 06:09:43 +0100

Well, I of course support Denmark who ought to make it out of the group
stage but probably not much further. Their best World Coup ever was in 1998
when they lost 3-2 to Brazil in the quarterfinal.

Based on performance, Spain should be the favourite. They have lost only one
(friendly) game since winning the European championship in 2008 and are
currently ranked as the best team in the world by FIFA. They play attractive
football and deserve neutral support. The other really good European team,
as always, are the Dutch (ranked no. 3 by FIFA) who also are wonderful to
watch when their game is on.

Both of those teams have a reputation, earned during many decades, of
choking in the big tournaments. They have won the European championship in
the past, but neither has ever won the World Cup (the Dutch came closest,
losing the 1974 final 2-1 to Germany). Either team can lay claim to the
nickname "the best team never to win a World Cup", but there is a widespread
feeling in Spain that this is the year when they will finally come through,
following their Euro win 2 years ago (all the significant players from that
team are on the current team).

Outside Europe, you are looking  at the usual suspects, Brazil and Argentina.

For a real outsider, look at the USA. They are improving with every World
Cup, I think, and it is a matter of time before they win one. I am convinced
it will happen during the next couple of decades, but not just yet.

African teams, forget it. Nobody really good this year. The hosts usually do
well (look at South Korea making it to the semifinal in 2002) but South
Africa is plainly awful right now.

A lot will come down to injuries. The players in all the national teams I
mention above will have just finished a long season by June. The vast
majority of them play for the top clubs in Spain, Italy and England. Those
are clubs that in addition to their national competitions also tend to get
far in the Champions League = even more games in the players' legs by the
time the World Cup kicks off.

Nathan

Nathan Wajsman
Alicante, Spain