Subject: [Leica] HCB wannabes
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 17:28:03 -0400

> Sonny Carter wrote:
> Vince, I wasn't there for the firehoses, but I was for the marches. I think
> you owe all of us who made it possible for you to get out there and shoot a
> little break.
>
> I was never a working PJ and had no credentials, but I did cover one civil
> rights march as a self-assigned photo project.  I was living in Memphis at
> the time of the King assassination and subsequent marches, so I just
> decided
> to go to the march and take pictures.  The police were vigilant but not
> obnoxious.  I was briefly stopped to make sure I wasn't packing heat, but
> then allowed to roam freely among the marchers with my cameras.  I wonder
> if
> that would be possible today -- the police seem to want to be more
> controlling now, at least from my limited experience.  As mentioned, I had
> no credentials whatsoever.
>
> A link to some of the march photos is here:
> http://pswango.smugmug.com/Journalism/A-march-for-Dr-King-Memphis/704068_s9YPE
> #30700120_unBSH
>
> <http://pswango.smugmug.com/Journalism/A-march-for-Dr-King-Memphis/704068_s9YP
> E#30700120_unBSH>I've
> posted these before, so apologies for repeating.
>
> Sonny (and others who may be interested), there's a good book by a white
> southerner who covered the civil rights movement for the press, with lots
> of
> interesting insider content.  It's "Dixie," by Curtis Wilkie, who's now at
> the U. of Mississippi I believe.
> http://olemiss.edu/depts/journalism/wilkie.html

The "Honor" picture brought a tear to me eye.

On a lesser note so did the smugmug interface I was trying to get its URL to
indicate it. But its all cartoons. The control of my cursor is conveniently
taken from me. I hope they dial down the Flash and come down to earth.

[Rabs]
Mark William Rabiner

Replies: Reply from philippe.amard at sfr.fr (philippe.amard) ([Leica] HCB wannabes)