Subject: [Leica] HCB wannabes
From: pswango at att.net (Phil Swango)
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 15:12:07 -0600

Sonny Carter wrote:
Vince, I wasn't there for the firehoses, but I was for the marches. I think
you owe all of us who made it possible for you to get out there and shoot a
little break.

I was never a working PJ and had no credentials, but I did cover one civil
rights march as a self-assigned photo project.  I was living in Memphis at
the time of the King assassination and subsequent marches, so I just decided
to go to the march and take pictures.  The police were vigilant but not
obnoxious.  I was briefly stopped to make sure I wasn't packing heat, but
then allowed to roam freely among the marchers with my cameras.  I wonder if
that would be possible today -- the police seem to want to be more
controlling now, at least from my limited experience.  As mentioned, I had
no credentials whatsoever.

A link to some of the march photos is here:
http://pswango.smugmug.com/Journalism/A-march-for-Dr-King-Memphis/704068_s9YPE#30700120_unBSH

<http://pswango.smugmug.com/Journalism/A-march-for-Dr-King-Memphis/704068_s9YPE#30700120_unBSH>I've
posted these before, so apologies for repeating.

Sonny (and others who may be interested), there's a good book by a white
southerner who covered the civil rights movement for the press, with lots of
interesting insider content.  It's "Dixie," by Curtis Wilkie, who's now at
the U. of Mississippi I believe.
http://olemiss.edu/depts/journalism/wilkie.html

--
Phil Swango