Subject: [Leica] Beware HCB Wannabes
From: passaro.vince at gmail.com (Vince Passaro)
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 20:54:17 -0400

Chris:

Many people from the streets of Burlington can no longer afford to hang out
in East New York: at least the western parts of it. Brooklyn's too cool for
school.

It has struck me since coming back to photography at a late age after moving
away from it at a young one, with little learned in the first effort, that
the key to a great photographer is often -- among other things of course --
physical endurance (which I currently don't have) and social and physical
courage, which I also am spotty on.

Let us not speak of the "rights" of the artist. Any society that speaks that
way is lying and trying in fact to neutralize what artists do, make it safe
and social and easy to take. It is more informative I think to consider the
artist a transgressor outright, a person willing to pay the price of
existing outside acceptable norms, catching people in ways they don't like,
showing them things they don't want to see or know. If you're a nature
photographer, well, no one really is going to come after you (unless you try
to save land or wildlife that someone is making a profit off of destroying,
or that sort of thing).  But on the street of a city? You should be a
menace. I don't have the nerve myself, most of the time, but I would like
to.  The police? F**k them. The granolas selling world music CDs at the
cafe, for $15 a pop, plus a $3 coffee? Feeling a little creeped out? Well, I
like cafes more than most folks -- I even like a lot of what's called 'world
music' --  but f**k them too.  Passersby get angry? Ditto.

Let's not try to make the street safe for us: let's try to make ourselves
unsafe for the street. The more they feel discomfort from you the better the
chance you're doing something right.

Vince