Subject: [Leica] IMG(s): portrait, 50mm pre-ASPH Summilux on DMC-GF1; plug; ruminations.
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 09:40:09 +1000

Jeff raises some very interesting and thoughtful points about the success of
these new designs. The editor of our biggest camera magazine here just
commented that they are visible everywhere he has travelled, yet no-one
seems to be using them with the four thirds lenses. Presumably that means
that manual focus is successful (and suggests that there is a viable niche
there). Reportedly they have some performance issues with some Leica wides
but I have no personal experience there. I saw Howard Cummer's neat little
GF1 with the compact prime on it and you can certainly see the appeal of
these packages for the reasons that Jeff has mentioned. Samsung have just
stepped into the fray with their interpretation (NX10) which has an APSC
size sensor and built in electronic viewfinder. It is smaller than the G1,
much smaller than even the E450 dSLR and I suspect comparable to the neat
little Olys and GF1 when you take into account adding the finder to the top
of those. It also has a superb and large AMOLED screen on the back which is
very impressive to view.  Currently their available lens adaptor though is
just for their earlier lenses (and more significantly, the Pentaxes).Take a
look if you are in that market. Locally it is also half the price of those
other makes.

Cheers
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman