Subject: [Leica] Leica prices
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2010 16:08:00 -0500

> Older inherited cameras need service.  Younger customers buy used & trade
> for new later when they're older.  A healthy used market means equipment
> can be sold to help pay for the latest (new) equipment.  The sky is not
> falling.
>
> Doug Herr

I was told in 1965 than there is a company which makes a camera which has
interchangeable lenses as I wanted a tele for my Voigtl?nder Vito BL when I
was 13.  I wanted to "zoom in" I was told that Leitz blew it not getting
into making SLR's soon enough and they'd probably not make it through the
week. Get a Nikon F everybody said.
I was told that about every year since. Leica would not make it through the
month or year.
When I joined the LUG a dozen years ago I was  repeatedly told they would be
going under for not going AF*. And not updating their cloth shutter. The
revolutionary Contax G pile of junk had just come out and the super geeks
were wild about it. It was for sure going to put Leica out of business
unless they came out with a cheap answer for it. Or make lenses to fit it.
And four years ago on the LUG I was told about the demise of Leica which was
spoken of in the past tense by everybody on the entire LUG save one or two.
One.  As this new thing called "digital photography" they also saw as a fly
by night fad and they didn't jump on the band wagon soon enough.
Leica jumps on the band wagon LATE every time we can count on that for sure.
When the holographic cameras come out they're going to sit on it for awhile.
And come out with one way late and for way too much money.
But I guarantee you'll think your mother in laws head is slowly rotating two
feet over your kitchen table and the remote control will have a red dot on
it.

We can count on them doing what they have been doing for 87 years since the
25 prototypes; making the best gear out there.
They are not going to come out with a cheap plastic DSLR to compete with the
masses who are out buying cropped Nikons and Canon tupperware monsters.

[Rabs]
Mark William Rabiner

*auto focus

Replies: Reply from Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie) ([Leica] Leica prices)