Subject: [Leica] New 35/1.4 ASPH?
From: passaro.vince at gmail.com (Vince Passaro)
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 12:50:29 -0500

Mark --

I wasn't rappping Leica at all, and I am probably less interested in bokeh
than anyone on the list; I think it's the microbrewery-zone of photography,
totally overrated, inclined toward the sweet and pretty. Its qualities
certainly do not determine a good photograph. In short, I don't give a crap
about bokeh.

My point was meant to be a larger aesthetic one, to the effect that we might
have crossed some line technologically where the physical technical
capacities of the art form (photography in this case, but it has happened in
many ways in other forms as well) now exceed the intention of the artist and
the generally accepted intentions of artists traditionally. Which is why I
suggested that for intimate scenes and street scenes I suspect I would like
these lenses better in black and white: this is an argument in favor of the
gesture that evokes the whole; in favor of a little bit of abstraction over
the hyper-perfect rendition.  You are practical: you want the best tool
available, and these certainly are the best and I wouldn't argue that for a
second. I love sharpness in a photograph; but I'm accustomed to b&w film
mainly... And as I noted, when taking a wider view these lenses to me eye
are at their very best. But to see a street scene in color produced by an M9
(or any other really top rate digital camera)  in combination with an ASPH
lens is to see a photograph that is now working outside its seemingly
intended genre. Part of photography's magic for me has always resided in
its seeing as we see, only a little better, or I should say, smarter, which
is to say, with a frame; and permanently instead of passingly.  But the way
these lenses see the world is no longer evocative of how we see it and so
the technology borders on the sentimental, if misapplied (broadly put, not
how things are but how we wish them to be, in this case, perfectly outlined
and detailed); which is why I said 'pornographic', for pornography is
usually a vulgar sentimentalizing of the purely visual in the erotic.

I'm sorry to anser at such length but answering is my way of thinking.