Subject: [Leica] OT: my French family in film
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 07:05:27 +0100

Around 1920 my granduncle Shmuel (Samuel) Wajsman emigrated from Lublin in
Poland to Paris in search of a better life. There, he and his wife did
indeed build a new life, under the name Weismann, courtesy a French
immigration official who had trouble with our Polish-Yiddish name. In Paris,
they had 3 children, two girls and a boy, the latter named Joseph and born
in 1931.

In 1942 the Vichy government rounded up French Jews at the behest of the
Germans. Most ended up in the gas chambers at Auschwitz, including Joseph's
entire family. But not Joseph. He escaped the French holding camp together
with another boy. They made their way back to Paris only to find empty
apartments, and parted company there. Joseph eventually was whisked off to a
village in the Loire Valley where he was taken in by the villagers and
pretended to be just another French village boy.

After the war, Joseph settled in Le Mans and became an apprentice in a
furniture shop. He later took over that shop and built a successful business
on that basis. For the first 10 years or so after 1945 he was unaware that
any part of his family in Poland had survived the war. He assumed that
everyone had met the same terrible fate as his parents and sisters, and
anyway he had never had any contact with his Polish family as a child. Then,
one day in 1957 or 58, my father "found" him. How it happened is another
story. But it did happen, and Joseph discovered that he was not alone in the
world as he thought. Since then he has been incredibly devoted to the whole
family. He attends all family gatherings and major events, whether in
Europe, the US or Israel.

Since he retired, Joseph has devoted much of his life and energy to telling
the story to schools, civic groups etc. around France. He is usually one of
the people who gives a little speech at the annual 8th May celebration in
front of the prefecture in Le Mans. During the past couple of years he has
been collaborating with the director and screenwriter of a feature film
about his life:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1382725/

It may not be a Hollywood blockbuster, but it is a substantial film with
some well-known actors. For Joseph, who has strived so much to tell the
story, this is of major importance--this film will be seen by a 100 times
more people than he has reached so far with his message of "never again".

And now the big moment has arrived. The film will be released in the
Francophone world on Wednesday, and on Monday evening there is the
"official" avant-premiere organized by Gaumont on Champs-Elys?es. We will be
there together with our French family, to celebrate this big event on our
family's history.

Over the years, I have shown many pictures of Joseph here on the LUG, for
example:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/20.jpg
http://www.nathanfoto.com/L2002_39_3.jpg
http://www.fotocycle.dk/paws/uploads/2008/32alt2.jpg
(the last one at the Holocaust memorial in Berlin in the summer of 2008)

This is all a long way of saying that I am off to Paris on Saturday--besides
the film, I want to take my daughter to the Louvre and I want to visit the
graves of two very different musical geniuses at the P?re Lachaise cemetery,
Chopin and Jim Morrison. And, if the weather permits, to violate French laws
and take some people pictures in the Jardin du Luxembourg and other similar
spots.

Nathan

Nathan Wajsman
Alicante, Spain