Subject: [Leica] Zeiss Wide Angle 35mm f/2 Biogon T* ZM
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 04:59:18 -0500

> That they look at name only regardless of actual quality. (has more money
> than brains, lol) Doing so won't hurt your image quality, Leica lenses are
> all top-level, but it will cost you a lot more if there is a cheaper
> alternative that is just as good or nearly so. If you can afford it, you're
> safe buying only Leica. If not, you have choices of the CV stuff or the
> Zeiss stuff. Some of it is very good.
>

> --
> Chris Crawford
> Fine Art Photography
> Fort Wayne, Indiana
> 260-424-0897

Chris it doesn't look to me like you are looking very hard at what makes a
lens be a lens at one price point, and what makes a lens be at another.
The least of it is would seem to me to be lens design.
Its choice of materials. Glass types.
Amount made and by which method made.
Tolerances and care in which they are made which  means:
quality control (QC?)
And a one thousand dollar lens is many price points apart from a 3 thousand.
You think its going to be minor differences I'd call that very wishful
thinking. A huge blurring of basic logic and common sense
The "You get what you pay for" rule actually does also apply to lenes which
go on cameras. If there is an exception to that rule I'm afraid camera lenes
do not happen to be it.

When I shot nikon in the 80's and 90's and I got a job and If needed
something wide I blew a few hundred bucks on a lens and the job would pay
for it.
When I went Leica I shot with a 50 for a year and saved a whole year till I
could afford a 90. Basically it took me a year  to get any lens for my Leica
M system. Ten years got  me ten lenes.
Worth it. Worth the wait.
But now on the lug we get our bodies and we want to buy and sell lenes on a
whim like we did with cheaper systems.
And we do becaue we can. Third party glass made to an entirely different
price point. I say have fun with it. But don't fool yourself into thinking
its the same as a Leica or even close.

A camera is a life support system for its lens line.
Leicas are used by people who would be rather be using SLR's and DSLR s.
But use Leica becaue it is simply by far the best 35mm glass made.
Despite the crazy rangefinder.
Spend big money on a camrea body and put cheap glass in front of it I'd call
that foolish.
Put your money in glass. If you have any left over. Get a camera.
It'll keep your film dark. Its that simple.

[Rabs]
Mark William Rabiner

Replies: Reply from chris at chriscrawfordphoto.com (Chris Crawford) ([Leica] Zeiss Wide Angle 35mm f/2 Biogon T* ZM)
Reply from photo.forrest at earthlink.net (Philip Forrest) ([Leica] Zeiss Wide Angle 35mm f/2 Biogon T* ZM)