Subject: [Leica] Will you put filter in front of your Noctilux
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 23:25:12 -0500

> ==On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 8:55 PM, Jefffery Smith <jsmith342 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> I'm glad that you weren't offended. For the record, I thought his comment
>> was
>> more like "they would think you were an idiot" than "your are an idiot".
>> It
>> might have been better to say that they would roll their eyes back.
>>
>> Jeffery
>>

> I've read through this thread and my eyes are starting to cross.
>
> Isn't the first question what kind of camera are you using? And the
> second question what are you shooting?
>
> If Jerry is using an M8 shouldn't he _be_ using an ir cut filter most
> of the time? Or should he be putting it on and taking it off depending
> on the scene he is shooting?
>
> --Bob

A UV filter and an IR cut filter filter are very different from each other.
An IR cut filter filter as I understand it cuts out a very specific and hard
to get at swath from the visible spectrum going into your lens. In the Infra
red range.
An UV filter takes out the UV area naturally...
Which is what most of the coatings and other substances in the elements of
your lens design are fully taking out anyway.
Taking out IR makes a huge effect on your image.
Taking out UV does little.

[Rabs]
Mark William Rabiner