Subject: [Leica] Will you put filter in front of your Noctilux
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 13:16:24 -0500

> I used filters a lot when I was a starving graduate student who couldn't
> bear
> the idea of getting a scratch on a 35/2 Nikkor. If I had a Noctilux as a
> starving graduate student, I don't know that I would ever take it out of
> the
> house. I think it comes down to a question of how badly one would be
> crushed
> by damaging the lens (and that speaks to one's income).
>
> Jeffery

When I started out in photography I had one lens.
A 45 GN 2.8 the lens I had all through college on my f2.
I got a 105 2.5 so I could shoot people on my backdrop and on location and
start my career from a guy used. It had a dented front ring.
After much effort when I got back to my studio I was able to squeeze a UV
filter on it; so you  could no longer tell I had a dented front. I may have
even had to use some lubricant to get it on their.
One day I had a run in, lunch or a drink, or run in on the sidewalk with the
head photographer of Willamette week. Most photographers in Portland were in
awe of her. It was 1978.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willamette_Week

"What are you doing with that stupid UV filter on your lens Mark?" she said.
I took it off and never used one again.
And noticed that none of the other photographer working for Willamette Week
or Oregon Magazine as I was on occasion was using them either. Nor
commercial photographers I knew. Nor Fine Art  Gallery shooters.
She didn't have to explain why. It was in the tone of her voice.
It was unnecessary.
It was ridiculous.

[Rabs]
Mark William Rabiner