Subject: [Leica] Eugene Smith, Charlie Chaplin, and 6 Leicas
From: passaro.vince at gmail.com (Vince Passaro)
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2010 22:51:40 -0500

To back up John: Smith was what some called a miraculous printer; to the
point that one assistant shooting with him one day took a camera from him
and asked, what exposure are you at? and he said, I have no idea. All of
that work was done in the darkroom. He was a photographer of darkness before
all which made the printing particularly demanding. He often radically
underexposed and then burned in only that part of the image he wanted you to
see first and most forcefully. The new "Jazz loft" book uses only his master
prints for its reproductions and they are amazing. Often there was almost no
light at all.

John, your blog on the Life essay and Smith's writing about it is excellent.
I'd add that Smith, as grandiose and delusional as he could be, was
dedicated to a certain notion of truth in art. Mary McCarthy on the Dick
Cavett show in the late 1970s said of Lillian Hellman, in this regard,
everything she's ever written is a lie, including 'and' and 'the'.  (Hellman
sued for $5 million...) Anyway this is how Life magazine was, in Smith's
addition to his inability to connect with Chaplin and more to the point
Chaplin's refusal to see and recognize Smith as an equal artistic genius --
in addition to that as irritant stood Smith's growing unhappiness with the
narratives Life imposed on his photographic essays, which were deeply
thought out, as you note. The breaking point came with an essay on Albert
Schweitzer, whom Smith found to be an ambiguous figure, nasty, imperious,
the worst kind of colonizer, while at the same time doing good. Smith
endeavored to show this but Life sanitized the whole story of course. Smith
quit not long after that, throwing his life (and his family's life) into
chaos and all of them into penury. He went and spent most of two years in
Pittsburgh taking pictures that, given the original low-paying assignment,
probably required less than a week's work. They are some of the greatest
American photographs of the post-war years, absolutely astonishing. They
were finally gathered together in significant number only a few years ago
and the book he'd long dreamed of came into being. It's called "Dream
Street." Definitely worth owning. The Jazz Loft book is superb too, though
not quite as overwhelming.

Vince P