Subject: [Leica] Editing
From: passaro.vince at gmail.com (Vince Passaro)
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 22:25:34 -0500

I agree with your implicit point wholeheartedly except to suggest that
typically such a train would go much more slowly than you account for, in
order to allow mourners to see it and experience its passing.

This whole discussion has pitted against each other two ways of creating
both of which are valid: in writing, for instance, one who writes quickly
and abundantly but needs much editing and wholesale re-writing after the
first draft; and the writer who boils down and compresses and pays very
strict attention to the shape and sound and grace of the sentences, and
needs little editing but takes year s and years to finish a book.

The argument made me think, again, of Garry Winogrand, driving around taking
pictures out the car window. And, opposingly, of Eugene Smith, sitting in
the window of his Sixth Ave loft, for thirty hours in the winter, sitting
sometimes without shooting for twenty minutes then taking one exposure -
just one.

It all works, as long as the artist is working.